“Hell no” – 21 Email Subject Lines From Barack Obama
Obama has a rockin’ marketing team behind him.
Who would’ve thought it, right?
A president that understands internet marketing… better, it seems, than most internet marketers.
Good for him. Whoever’s behind his marketing shiz should get a pay-rise. Or better than that, they should quit their job, start a lifestyle business and move to Thailand or Bali. When you’ve got serious chops, why work for the Government when a white sandy beach in the Philippines is waiting?
Given Mr O’s chops (or the team behind him), I thought we’d take a look at his subject lines. Being an Aussie, I’m not interested in the hallowed halls of American politics, but the word on the street was that his subject lines rock.
I hopped on over to Obama’s website and signed up to his list. The only emails I received asked me for donations… but the magic wasn’t so much in the emails as in the subject lines.
Corporates should pay attention. If Obama can send you an email saying “Hell no” in the subject line, I’m sure the dignified corporates can bear it.
Take a look at the subjet lines below. There are plenty of ideas for swipes! In other words, grab Obama’s subject lines, save them to your PC or Mac and use them to improve your own email subject lines.
3 Lessons from the President’s Emails
- Talk like a friend. When big companies send emails, they try their hardest to sound like a big company. But unfortunately, people prefer doing business with people, not big companies. When you write marketing emails, write like one person to another.
- Short subject lines. When you send emails to your friends, do you use short subject lines or long?
- Don’t capitalize every word. Same thing. Friendly emails are casual, relaxed and unprofessional. Capitalize the first letter of the first word, but that’s it.
My Favorite Subject Lines
“To be frank” (this is a spin on the classic IM subject line – “Frankly, I’m puzzled”)
Barack Obama’s Email Subject Lines
- Fly in for my birthday get-together
- Barack’s birthday party
- This is potentially devastating
- Romney’s Bain secret exposed
- Re: I will be outspent
- Take this quick survey
- Your seat on Barack’s bus
- To be frank
- An emotional moment in the Oval Office
- Say you’re with me
- Today’s decision
- If we’re drastically outspent
- You deserve a thank you
- Take this seriously
- Dinner with the Obamas
- Hell no
- Wonderful news
- Did you hear the President today?
- Go ahead, keep waiting
- Meet me for dinner